The BCAFM is here to serve the needs of our member farmers’ markets. We are committed to developing and strengthening the capacity of farmers' markets in all regions of British Columbia, so you, our members can continue to support local farmers and artisans and provide British Columbians with fresh healthy local food. Learn more.
Featured Seasonal Recipe
Cranberry Beet Soup:- Courtesy of the North Saanich Farmers' Market.
A beautiful, delicious soup that's perfect for the holidays! All the ingredients (except the cranberries, which will probably have to be from the mainland) are grown locally and are available fresh right now.
- 1⁄2 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium leek, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 medium beets, cut in 2" cubes
- 2 cups of cranberries, fresh or frozen
4 cups of stock
- Saute onion, leek and garlic in olive or canola oil in a large soup pot until soft and slightly brown.
- Add beets and cranberries.
- Pour in stock. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for approx. 1 hour or until beets are soft and cooked through (the smaller the cubes, the faster they'll cook).
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree.
- Return to pot, and adjust seasonings to taste (add more stock if the soup is too thick).
- If the cranberries have made the soup too tart for your taste, stir in 2 - 4 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Serve with a small dollop of yogurt and a sprig of thyme.
The North Saanich Market has been running for 4 years as part of the North Saanich Food for the Future Society (NSFFS). They are dedicated to supporting and promoting the creation of a local food system that is socially, economically and environmentally sustainable. For more North Saanich Farmers Market recipes, visit their online cookbook: North Saanich Market Cookbook.