The BCAFM is here to serve the needs of our member farmers’ markets. We are committed to developing and strengthening the capacity of farmers' markets in all regions of British Columbia, so you, our members can continue to support local farmers and artisans and provide British Columbians with fresh healthy local food.
Featured Seasonal Recipe
Summer Bell Peppers Stuffed with Eggplant Salad
Try this vegetarian dish created by Choices' Executive Chef, Antonio Cerullo. Recent studies have shown a cholesterol-lowering effect when consuming eggplants. High in fibre and potassium.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 8 small or 4 large sweet bell peppers (red, yellow, orange)
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 pinches salt
- cracked pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chipped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Pierce eggplant with fork repeatedly, and roast in oven for 25 minutes or until completely soft. Remove from the oven, and once it has cooled, peel and dice.
- In a small pot, bring two cups of water to a boil with vinegar.
- Slice up peppers; if small slice in half, if large, slice in quarters. Drop peppers into boiling water and blanch for 40 seconds. Drain and place on baking sheet.
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium-high heat, brown celery.
- Add garlic, eggplant, salt and pepper to taste. Sauté 4–5 minutes and add lemon juice, mint, green onion and tomatoes.
- Remove from heat and fill peppers with spoonfuls of the eggplant mixture.
- Return to 425°F oven for 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold. Variation: Add 1/2 cup of crumbled feta or parmesan if desired.
Serves 4 as a main dish. Serves 8 as an appetizer.